Friday, January 02, 2009

Toyota Surprise (Part 1)

I can never associate excitement and sweet surprise with a Toyota. But it is true that the 3.5L Camry will outrun C36 any time, any gear and any speed. This car will judder its front wheels scrapping for traction in first, and SECOND gear. Amazing power and smooth generous torque. I can here I confirm its 280ps is as real as the 268ps of the C36. The Camry is big and in tight spots it really feels like parking a big boat. Otherwise its quick, direct and responsive steering does the job. No disappointment here as its turning circle was another surprise. The long car length does not help but I think it is overall manageable.

This is a weekend rental from Toyota-rent-a-car. The 2007 Camry is the only 3.5L on the lot in metallic grey color. The car isn't light, but it isn't 'very' heavy. Again, I would say it is manageable if it isn't pushed. The front tires are under-spec'ed at 215/65R16.

I remember when the Camry first came out in 2006 Tiki and I were among the first to have the test drive. Subsequently I opted for the C36 at a fraction of the cost, and patiently waited for the second-hand Camry, ideally in two to three years time. Now the moment has come to evaluate the situation.

This is only the first half-day with the Camry. I will write more during and after the weekend.

No comments: