Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Walk in the Showrooms - VW and Mini

It is always at the end of the year or the beginning that one can look for good deals, especially during the economic downturn. So it is not important if we are in the market or not, we will always do a tour of the showroom whenever it is the 'right' time. The showroom excitement and fascination are a fine entertainment in itself and bring sparkles to the holiday season. This year we do not plan to get a new car but nevertheless I always want to find some car that will blow me away, or a price deal (bang-for-the-buck kind of deal) that I cannot resist. Just like any other hobbies, I prefer (but not always do that) to actively seek out 'targets' and checking/updating my favorite lists. I fully know that it is also fun if I accidentally or unexpectedly run into something I absolutely like or fall in love with. For me I think a mix of both is nice.

VW EOS was nice. The discounted price was nice but it was 50% over our 'stretched' budget. EOS will make Optimus Prime pale in comparison if you watch its whole mechanical transformation from the hardtop with glass sunroof to the totally roofless configuration. The presentation is totally awesome if it takes a bit long in my view. VW has engineered all the features and basic luxury you would ever practically need and think of in the EOS. I think it is borderlining excessive. It comes in silver and red, both attractive and viable. The look of EOS is a bit off with a solid and elegant style that unfortunately says not much about what it is.

The other good deal was the Bumble Bee - the VW Beetle Convertible. It is exactly the same car in same color that we have spent full four days with. I am impressed with the car inside-out both in design and engineering. Its mechanical is sound and the level of refinement is superb. Don't be cheated by its cheeky look. What really negatively impressed me is its 2.0L engine that powered the Beetle and the Golf FSi. While smooth as a V6 and effortless in cruising, it feels like it is torque-less and gutless. The top-grade 6-speed auto gearbox really saves the whole power-train from being a total loser. You can call me critical but I tell you it is really the smoothest and lamest 2.0L I have driven in the last 20 odd years. 50-80kph takes 3 gear shifts (4th to 5th to 6th) and leisurely ages to accomplish if you are not generous with the throttle. To have a reasonable and practical performance it should not power any car more than 1'000kg. And the Beetle Convertible is around 1400kg plus.

The next best deal in my eyes is the Golf GTI Pirelli version. It is a special sports tune-up package (230ps, up from the standard 200ps) before the model gets an update in 2009. Price is right but still 20% over my 'stretched' budget. Take a look at the leather seat and I want to die. The tire thread pattern seat cover really isn't my cup of tea. Just typical good quality leather seat offered in the FSi will do the job, please. And there is no sunroof because of the weight saving and price concern. Alright. And next there is only 2-door version. Ouch. I want a 4-door Golf. And then only it comes in silver, black and deep blue. Well, I want white color even though silver is acceptable. But silver Golf looks like a bit flat and off-tone for the kind of car it is. So forget it.

The showroom is at an odd place in Causeway Bay and hard to find. Good because I think it saves cost for the VW customers, potentially or existing.

Then after a heavy Japanese lunch we walked into the Mini Showroom to look for the best deal. We saw the new Minis. They are bloated, grown, and more aggressive. The Cooper S version looks to me like a mad dog. The price was shockingly expensive. It was a sweet surprise (and it answered my question) that the Mini convertible we spent four days with is the current version. The updated version will come in mid 2009. Great, we will wait. And we missed by a couple weeks the 1.6 M/T version of Mini (standard) selling at a price that is within our budget. Great, again. It is because I don't need to concern about it anymore. I will wait for the new 2009 convertible Mini.

The showroom experience ends for the day but the showroom tour will continue. Of course web-browsing for second hand candidates is also on.

No comments: