Friday, February 11, 2011

SLK350 Update

I had no clue that the front shocks of the SLK350 had long gone. I did feel that the handling was weird, clumsy, and twitchy when pushed and at the limit. It came to me that an affordable set of Eibach Pro-kit and Bilstein B8 shock set (so called B12 set in Hong Kong) would alleviate the problem. And it did. Here came the surprise - the front shocks, after removal from the car, were already gone but showing no sign of the completely faded damping. I always have doubt about SLK's handling, but never expected it would be so 'average'. 

The new B8 shocks (Mcpherson) along with the Eibach springs provides a rock-solid and almost unyielding front end, extremely firm but not quite harsh. The folder roof did not complain. The ride and handling are now superb with the top down. While it is still slightly twitchy at the new limit which is now pushed to another height, the handling is different - nimble, direct and clean. I can now feel the body rigidity of the SLK.


In terms of look, the lower ride height (1" approx.) front and rear have the 18" AMG manifested. They now look business with a dice of aggressiveness and 19"ish. 

Let me say the change makes me rediscover SLK again. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the blog article! I am going to install the same shocks/struts and springs in my SLK-350.

You said they softened up a bit after a few days. Would you describe the ride as firmer than the stock suspension? Is it as precise and firm as the handling in the SLK-55?

Thanks...
Dave

Mental Friction said...

It is still firm today after two or three months. It is firmer than the stock suspension that I had, but not sure when the stock was new.

I have no experience with SLK55, as it is a different car with stiffened chassis and heavier engine up front.