Wednesday, September 14, 2011

CL500 Restoration 10

18" Mercedes Eltanin
Front & Rear alloy wheels: 18x8.5" ET47
Wheel part number: MER B66470083
Additional alloy part number: A1404011302 
Over the weekend, I changed the alloy wheels 16" to 18" (both silver Merc factory wheels for C140) on the S500 coupe. Ride is a bit compromised on rough roads but handling is tightened and cleaner, especially in tight corners and small roundabouts. Steering is now a bit numb, heavier but firmer in feel. In general I like the change and they look great. Body roll is reduced and stability is enhanced. The steering vibration seems gone.


The used set of Eltanin 18" was removed from a 98' S500 Coupe in a Kam Tin junkyard. It came with a 08' and 09' Goodyear LS2000 II tires in a reasonable condition (with a bit of excessive shoulder wear on the inner side of the rear tires).  The finish on two wheels are bad and would require some dressing-up later.


The tire diameter is now 2% smaller and seems to me that the car gains in torque during startup. But I can feel the additional drag and perhaps it hurts fuel economy a bit. But the new wheel/tire set is acceptably good and definitely a keeper. But it does not stop me from fancying a nice set of high-performance summer tires.


On the first day I was unaware of the high tire pressure in the front (36psi), I did complain about the rough ride, hardness and vibration. On a second day early morning I set the tire pressure at 31psi in the front and 34 at the back. Immediately the car felt much refined and smooth riding, and much closer in ride comfort compared to the 16" that was fitted before. And the Goodyear tires seem to quiet down on highway after much travelling and rubbing off some block edges. 


I am beginning to think fitting the Michelin PSP, Yokohama AD08 or BS RE11. But I would wait.




No comments: