Monday, January 24, 2011

Bridgestone GR90 on Corolla

I didn't know why I resisted so much in fitting the new GR90 on the Corolla. It is all about safety, fun and utility. I drive mostly the Corolla and I love to drive it, but did not change the tires even though it was the first thing I should have done to it, among many things that have been already done to it.

I think I am having a sense of self-denial, working under my skin that I am not aware of. And it is working via my justification to NOT justify it even though practically it is the best thing to do.


Anyway I did the tire change at Jinway for $3000, $750@ on Jan 24th. I am superstitious about Jinway as almost every tire I fitted there ending up replaced shortly. I always fitted the wrong tires there, for some reason, which makes me unwilling to fit my tires there. But I did it there this time, in which with still strong doubt which I need to ignore.

It is the most expensive tires in its size/category, and made in Japan.


The GR90s replaced the Michelin XM-1 (2007). My initial feeling is that its traction is similar to XM1 and lower than the GR80. It is firmer than the XM1 and quieter than the XM1. It is a noise-free tire and resilient. However it does not have the handling and the sure-footed grip and traction of the older GR90, in which the difference can be accounted for by different cars (Civic vs. Corolla) that they each are fitted. GR90, in comparison, is noisy and harsh and yet more confidence inspiring. So far I am happy with the new GR90, as a luxury tire unlike GR80 which is a lot more spirited and sporty in nature.

In terms of side wall, GR90 is both plushier and firmer. It does not steer as quickly as the XM1 and GR80 but the response is smooth and progressive. XM1 has slightly better turn-in and GR80 is simply sharp, in comparison to GR90.

However a fair comment is to be given after initial 1,000 kms. Let's see.

No comments: