Thursday, August 03, 2006

Typhoon Prapiroon & Our First Day with MX5

After meeting up with the owner in the morning we have been through heavy rains and gale force winds to have the title ownership transferred. Officially the MX5 (MK2, Year 2000, 6-speed and Silver) is Tiki's right now. However I was the one who had driven it for a few hours today, mainly to find out things needed to be repaired on the car. Believe me the car was so good and I was able to come up with a very 'short' list.

Here is my first impression.

With the hardtop on all day to protect us from the nature's elements the interior was quite cozy and stress-free. It felt like driving a small Japanese sedan without the back seat. The headroom with the hardtop on was surprisingly ample. Tiki and I never felt constricted and as a matter of fact did feel less stressful and less claustrophobic than being in the Mercedes SLK230. SLK230 was another strong consideration, which MX5 eventually won, over our heart by merely a hairline. The MX5's raking A-pillar did not eat into my personal space in the level of my head. I hate the fact that in some convertible that when I lean forward my head would hit the A-pillar (or have my eye poked).

It is a simple car with excellent engineering and design details. It impresses me not with the features and niceties it has, but with the lack of nuisances and list of faults of big and small, that would have me bothered and bewildered.

Because of its low stance, everything on the road seemed to be much bigger and taller. Even the red taxis we found everyday were two feet taller. All the Mercedes S-classes looked like minivans to us. However the MX5, seemed to be stable between 80-100kph with strong cross winds while traveling on the open highway, despite its light weight and the rear-wheel drive chassis. Not bad. It was the other motorists that I was worried since they could not keep their rides tracking true and straight.

In terms of ride and engine performance other than "acceptable" and "reasonable" I have not much to write home about, especially after the first day. Again it was the lack of nuisance and faults that really impress. Due to its 1,030kg weight the handling is nice and the pickup is reasonable quick. Turn-in was amazing even with the 6-year old Bridgestone ER30 in the front.

Let me continue with more update during or after the first weekend, after the hardtop can be removed and when the fun of open-top motoring begins.

No comments: