Saturday, November 12, 2011

Nitto Invo (窮人PS2) on CL500


After a horrified 4 days of heavy rain without much wet traction with the Goodyear LS2000 Hybrid II, I decided to get rid of it even though it performs adequately in the dry (chirping and squeaking at moderate cornering speed). I did have a fun session going to and leaving Tai Mo Shan the same day I changed to Nitto. My fall-back choice is the Michelin PSS if I cannot find something inexpensive and appropriate to the CL500. I have considered Toyo (T1S, T1R or C1S) as well as Hancock (V12 Evo). I have consider Michelin PS3 but there isn't stock for the size). I took a leap of faith and went with the Nitto Invo Link to Invo. Nitto is popular in North America making low profile large tires (17" up to 24"). Mother company is Toyo Tire Japan and most likely Nitto tires are made by Toyo as well. Tires (4 x 245/45R18) are made in Japan and date coded 2011 and 2010.

Did a trip from Mongkok back to Shatin and then to Maonshan. Street and highway driving within legal street limit. Compared to the Goodyear LS2000 Hybrid II, I had the following observation:
  • Side to side pitching is much reduced, perhaps due to strong tire build.
  • Side wall stiffer with reduced tire vibration on road impacts, and yet filters road irregularities and corrugation.
  • Ride is firm and slightly harsher (compared to PS2) on road impacts. 
  • Rolling resistance much reduced and the tire feels rounded and smooth riding.
  • Quiet 
  • Slight understeering now gone. Turn-in is sharper, clean and assertive
  • Steering effort reduced in both at parking and road speed.
  • Steering feel is direct and sharp in the straight
  • Great braking response
  • The car feels less sluggish
  • Poor man's Michelin PS2.



No comments: