Monday, February 14, 2011

The Thought of Adding a 4th Project Car

This is not entirely a sound idea at all. However the temptation to do so lingers on. 
I have always been in search of a fourth car which is special. I would want it special because it itself must bare a strong justification for its place, competing against my other cars and my guilt (of spoiling myself).

To own the fourth car I must be ready to ditch one of the three existing cars. The likely one is the Corolla which I like a lot, as both a fun car and utility car. 

To ask the right question is important to determine why I need a project car and which project car I will take on.

While getting a project car can be easily justified, getting a fourth car isn't. It is an excess and easily a baggage. Keeping three cars are already a drag. Keeping four would be unwise if the justification is utility related. And then there is the drain to keep the fourth car, along with the other three, at tip-top condition.

So this fourth car got to be very special for its own worth, and must bring a lot of fun, expected and unexpected, as a project car. Financially it would not be a burden, while low initial cost is not necessary if recurring cost, mod cost and resale are taken into consideration. And there should not be any surprise towards the negative end.


Added on Feb 15th, 2011:
Somehow I feel that a project car is a sort of materialistic bondage. I am not saying freedom is good and then bondage is bad. We need certain level of bondage to feel materialistically satisfied and our desire met. But too much of a bondage at certain time can be bad, and easily catches one off guard. So it is important to be very cautious, as a project car, and a fourth car, can easily drain more than one would expect, and can interfere with other aspects of life in the form of a burden.


No comments: