Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Brief Test Drive in Mercedes ML430 and Lexus IS200

ML430. It was a year 2002 model and well kept by its former owners. It did have the V8 power and the will to pull its two-ton dead weight off from a stand-still. Surprisingly after much strong low-end pull from 0 to 50kph, there was not enough puff left between 60kph to 100kph. Ride was nice and smooth but no one could disguise the fact it was indeed truck-like and had clumsy handling. Initially it did not give me any me any sense of confidence but I still deemed it reasonable for what its worth. However due to high fuel price nowadays, a V8 is not a popular choice.
IS200. After a 2-hour drive in a 1999 IS200 I was sweetly surprised by its excellent everydayness. It was as small as the C36. It was quiet, stationary or on the move. It is refined, vibration free. It was actually feeling more nimble and stiffer than the C36. The 2.0L in-line 6 is very similar to the straight six in the C36, barring the engine capacity, power and the low-end torque. The interior was simply over-decorated, busy and over-designed. We didn't like it a bit. Space-wise it could not compete with the C36 in the front, but not differed by a great deal. I have two thoughts after the short drive with my wife. First it confirmed that my C36 was a bit soft in the chassis and body shell structure despite C36 felt a lot more substantial and heavy duty. Aside from the busy and tight interior, I think the IS300 could make a better car for me. However the look of the first generation IS series had started to age. Honestly it did not age as well as the W202 C-class.

No comments: