Thursday, May 31, 2007

AMG C36 - A 14-Month Long-term Update (83'312 km)

The C36 was due for its 4'300km service on 5/19 immaturely since I had to go with Eddie with his X5 (also due for the service). I live no longer in the Chai Wan area so going to Pak Lok Auto is going to be a chore. So I will just go when I have a chance. Plus I suspect the engine oil was not going great since I had a couple weeks of engine overheating a month or so earlier.

Also I have the factory MB spark plugs replacing the TM plugs. It turned out to be a bad idea. Not only I lose power but also torque and responsiveness. I will put the TM plugs back in during the next service or earlier if I can find a chance. The mighty C36 engine now turns into a silky, creamily smooth C320.

Also I learn that the wiring to the transmission has hardened and therefore due for a replacement. The front pair of upper A-arms are also getting more and more frequent clunking noise whenever they are subject to some serious suspension travel or lateral loads. Those two expensive repairs will be on the list for the next service.

Otherwise the only complaint I have is the tendency of minor understeering. This can be solved either by changing to a stiffer and stickier front tires, or lifting the rear ride height by 10mm. The ride is perfectly acceptable to me now, provided that the front tire pressure is not above 32psi when cold. I especially enjoy the firm and controlled way that they flow over the speed bumps of all sizes and shapes.

No comments: